Often times residents believe a call to the police or 911 will be a burden or unnecessarily tie up police resources. However, reporting suspicious activity immediately can help police prevent or interrupt a crime.
If someone is in physical danger or you believe a specific crime is happening, call 911 immediately.
If it is a non-emergency, call the Covert Police Department (269) 764-8900 and dial 1 for dispatch to inform an officer of the suspicious behavior and be prepared to answer questions, such as describing vehicles, people, location, etc.
Suspicious behavior can include:
- Unusual noises, including screaming, sounds of fighting, breaking glass
- People in or around buildings or areas who do not appear to be conducting legitimate business
- Unauthorized people in restricted areas
- Vehicles driving slowly and aimlessly through neighborhoods, around schools or parking lots
- People peering into parked vehicles that are not their own
- People who change their behavior when they notice they have been seen
- People dressed inappropriately for the weather or occasion, (i.e., heavy coat in warm weather)
- Abandoned parcels or other items in unusual locations (i.e. in a lobby or elevator)